Boater Education Cards

State law requires vessel operators to carry a Washington State Boater Education card when operating motorboats with 15 horsepower or greater  (including personal watercraft or any motorized watercraft). The fine for not having one is $87.

To get a card, boaters must:

– Take an approved boater education course in the classroom,  classroom/hands-on, online or at home
– Complete and submit the Boater Education Card Application, along with $10 and a legal copy of proof of course completion

For more information about the mandatory boater education card program, vessel owners may visit the Mandatory Boater Education website at

Leave a Reply